Group Study Rooms
About the Study Rooms
- Group study rooms are intended for collaborative academic uses.
- Preference will always be given to groups. A single patron using a study room may be asked to give up the room to a larger group, unless the individual requires the AV equipment.
- Rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis and operate through a reservation system. Rooms may be reserved for 1/2 hour intervals, up to 2 hours, with a limit of 4 hours per day.
- Calvin University/Seminary faculty, staff, and students may make reservations.
- Vacant study rooms may be used on a walk-in basis until the next reservation.
- Hekman Library seeks to outfit each room to advance collaborative learning opportunities. All rooms are equipped with table, chairs, and a whiteboard. The media study rooms adjacent to the Cayvan collection accommodate 3-6 individuals and have audio/video equipment to allow for viewing or presentation work. Equipment remotes may be checked out at the 2nd floor circulation desk (loss and late fines may apply).
Calvin students, faculty, and staff can schedule library rooms online using the Hekman Library Scheduler. In addition, outside each study room you will also find a QR code which links directly to the reservation form for that room.
Not familiar with QR codes? QR code scanning is built into SnapChat (press and hold the code while viewing through your device), and also part of Google Now on Tap on newer Android devices (hold down the home button while in the camera app). There are also many other specific apps available that offer QR code scanning. For iOS devices, we recommend using Google Chrome (access QR code scanning via a Spotlight search for "qr", or using a force press on the Chrome icon). For Android devices, we recommend QR Code Reader by Scan Mobile.
- Be respectful of the time and empty the room by the end of your reservation.
- The study rooms are never locked. Do not leave personal belongings in the room. The library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Room layout should not be altered. Do not move extra furniture into a study room.
- Drinks are permitted in spill-proof containers. Food is allowed. Please clean up before you leave the room.
- Turn off lights and equipment and leave doors open when you leave.
- Please report any equipment problems immediately to the 2nd floor circulation desk staff.