Hekman Library will operate differently this year, but our goal is to continue to serve your teaching, learning, and research needs. Please read the summary below of our current reopening phase, or for more information on other planned phases, see this page.
If you have other questions, you may also want to consult our FAQs or contact us via our Live Chat service on the library homepage.
Library Remains in Phase 3
- Masks and social distancing required.
- Main (2nd) and 3rd floors available for a limited number of users.
- Peet’s is grab-n-go. Café seating will not be available.
- Building access requires campus ID through main entrance. Access provided to university and seminary students, faculty, and staff. No drop-in guests, alumni, or visiting patrons.
- Vulnerable populations may access the main floor from 11a-1p on Saturdays.
- 4th floor available to seminary students with scheduled carrel or appointment.
- Appointments required for Heritage Hall and the Meeter Center.
- Study spaces are limited, and all users should sign in and out on the 2nd floor. Study rooms are reservable for single-user occupancy, and some group spaces have been configured on 3rd floor.
- Library staff are periodically sanitizing any spaces marked as used. Library users may also wipe down their workspace prior to use with available supplies.
- Soft seating will not be available.
- Library or campus-initiated events will not be hosted or planned for Hekman.
- If required, rollback phase would close off access to the upper floors, including cancelling access to seminary students to the 4th floor (modified Phase 2).
Requesting and Returning Materials
Requests for materials from the library's general collection may be made using the library’s online catalog and its hold functionality. Once you've placed the hold, you will receive an e-mail with further instructions about pick-up.
You may return materials using the library's dropboxes at any time.
If you have questions about requesting or returning materials, or other questions about your library account, please contact us on Live Chat or call us (616-526-7197) to speak with our Access Services staff. (Or watch this video from our Phase 1 Reopening!)